[EXIM] Quieter per-message logs

Author: Malcolm Ray
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Quieter per-message logs
As I've seen today, exim's per-message logfiles can eat up a fair amount
of disk when you have a large queue. A site for which we provide a
backup MX was out of action for about 24 hours, and we built up a large
backlog of mail for them - which meant a lot of "retry time not reached
for any host" log messages.

The log_level variable applies only to the main log, not to the per-message
logs. I'm puzzled by the thinking behind that. The per-message log is
"solely for the benefit of the administrator", so shouldn't I be able to
control its verbosity? I can easily fix this in the source, but maybe I'm
missing the point...

--
Malcolm Ray                           University of London Computer Centre