[EXIM] Restricting connections from a single IP address

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Restricting connections from a single IP address
On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Yes. [I'll look at coding this, but add it to the Wish List as a reminder
> :-) ]

OK.

> We are also seeing, particularly under these circumstances (huge hits
> normally from one site) some processes hanging on read -

Aha! Somebody else sees this.

> I think the
> problem is actually kernel related in that the alarm timeout is getting
> lost but in theory a lot of signal stuff is unreliable.

We have these from time to time on Solaris, and I keep looking at the
stuck processes and can't find out what the heck is happening, except
that it always seems to be related to a dial-in connection that has gone
away. However, I haven't seen any for a while, and a comment on a Sun
patch suggested that something might have got fixed.

> I was wondering
> about changing the base read code for SMTP to use a select(),read() rather
> than a alarm(),read() basis (or even use both together - however don't
> some systems actually implement select using an alarm?? Any Unix varients
> people here??)

I suppose that might help on some systems, but I'm no expert.