Re: [EXIM] Autoresponder From addresses and other questions

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Mitch
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Autoresponder From addresses and other questions
On 5 Oct 1998, Mitch wrote:

> Apropos of this sort of thing, Philip, is it posssible to get exim to
> set the "Return-path" heasder for all my outgoing non-local mail to
> postmaster@???, overriding whatever the MUA has set?

This would not be a good idea. The Return-path header is something that
is supposed to be inserted into a message only at the point of "final
delivery", in order to record the contents of the message's envelope.
During SMTP transport, the address is carried in the MAIL FROM command.
Here's a quote from RFC 1123:

         When the receiver-SMTP makes "final delivery" of a message,
         then it MUST pass the MAIL FROM: address from the SMTP envelope
         with the message, for use if an error notification message must
         be sent later (see Section 5.3.3).  There is an analogous
         requirement when gatewaying from the Internet into a different
         mail environment; see Section 5.3.7.

         <snip>

         IMPLEMENTATION:
              The MAIL FROM: information may be passed as a parameter or
              in a Return-Path: line inserted at the beginning of the
              message.

By default, Exim actually removes return-path headers it sees in
incoming messages, though you can stop it doing this by changing
return_path_remove.

If you want to change what is sent in the MAIL FROM command, that is,
the envelope sender address, then you can do that by a suitable rewriting
configuration using the F flag to specify the envelope sender. If you
really want *all* messages from your machine to have the same envelope
sender, you could write

*@* postmaster@??? F

as a rewriting rule. This wouldn't (and shouldn't) change the empty
address that is used for bounce messages.