Re: [EXIM] Autoresponder From addresses and other questions

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Autoresponder From addresses and other questions
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> functional_filters:
>     driver = forwardfile
>     check_local_user = false
>     filter = true
>     file_directory = /var/adm/mail/forwardfiles
>     file = ${local_part}.forward

[snip]

> My questions are
>
>        (1) Is this a reasonable approach to this sort of thing?

Seems plausible to me, but

>        (2) How do I control the From line for these?

Ah. You can't do that from a filter, which is really designed for
individuals to use. Exim will build a From: header from the uid under
which it is running, which will be the Exim uid in this case by default.
You could, however, set the "user" and "seteuid" options on forwardfile
to get it to run as a specific uid. Hmm. I've made a note of the
implicit suggestion that "From" be settable in a filter.

Alternatively, what you need to do to set your own From: is to set up an
autoreply transport, but then you haven't got the same control as in a
filter, and it would all be rather messier.

>        (3) Can I set a different From line for each one of these
>            or must I use the same from (say "nobody") for all of the
>            ones in the same directory.

See above.

>        (4) Is there anyway to set the Reply-To for the autoresponses?

Not at the moment. Suggestion noted.

>        (5) Are the mail response and log files relative to the
>            file_directory?

They will be relative to the current directory when the autoreply
transport is run. This can be set with current_directory on forwardfile.

>        (6) Are there any significant differences between 1.92 and 2.03
>            with respect to any of these?

Not that I can remember offhand, but my memory is not as good as it was.