Re: [EXIM] NFS-mounted mail spool on Linux 2.0.32 RedHat 5.0…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ben Parker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] NFS-mounted mail spool on Linux 2.0.32 RedHat 5.0 OK?
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Ben Parker wrote:

> Is it a "bad idea" to let more than one server append mail to a shared
> NFS-mounted /var/spool/mail/user mail spool directory.?

We run two Solaris 2 machines which deliver info /var/mail/${local_part}
over NFS; the directory itself is in fact on a separate fileserver, i.e.
not on either of the MTA machines. This hasn't given us any problems.
Both fcntl and lockfile locking are enabled. Users use a number of
different MUAs, including Pine, Elm, MH, as well as IMAP and POP.