Re: [EXIM] redirecting email from root to elsewhere (fwd)

Author: Harald Meland
To: Oliver Seidel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] redirecting email from root to elsewhere (fwd)
[Oliver Seidel]

> Now, my machine, only having a root account and my personal
> account, is instructed to forward all mail through the network, so that
> I get a timestamp for everything I send. I guess I wish to make an
> exception for that in the case of user "root".
>
> Is there any way of making my local exim installation send this email to a
> local user on my machine, say "os10000" or "root" or something of that
> sort?

In your situation (if I understood you correctly), I would go for a
setup similar to this:

Put your box, oliver.cl.cam.ac.uk, in local_domains.

Use only two directors. The first should be an aliasfile director,
for the addresses you want to be delivered locally (or rather, for
mapping "root" into "os10000" before shipping the mail into your
central mail server). The second should be a smartuser director, for
assigning local mail to a specific smtp transport that will send any
local mail to your central mail server.

The transport should be an smtp transport.

You should take care not to allow unintended relaying.

Hope that's enough hints to get you started.
--
Harald