[EXIM] Quick MX question

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: C Foster
To: exim-users
Betreff: [EXIM] Quick MX question
Hello all, I have a simple MX query. If host A has an MX record
pointing to host B, is it the case that host B MUST have an address
record? The reason I ask is... (names changed etc)...

> exim -d9 -bv billy@???

Exim version 1.90 debug level set to 9
probably ndbm
Verifying: uid=0 gid=10 euid=1001 egid=10
Verifying billy@???
address billy@???
local_part=billy domain=hosta.ac.uk
domain is not local

routing billy@???, domain hosta.ac.uk
deliver router called for billy@???
dns lookup: route_domain = hosta.ac.uk
DNS lookup of hosta.ac.uk (MX) succeeded
DNS lookup of hostb.ac.uk (A) gave NO_DATA
Actual local interface address is 127.0.0.1
Actual local interface address is 143.210.16.126
fully qualified name = hosta.ac.uk
host_find_bydns yield = HOST_FIND_FAILED (0); returned hosts:
hostb.ac.uk <null> 0 62 *
deliver router failed
billy@??? failed to verify:
all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
search_tidyup called

In the above case, host B is an MX for host A, but host B has no
A record, just an MX pointing to host C. (Host C does have an
address record).

I tried RFC 974 but I don't think it could help me. Can anyone clarify
the situation or point me at the relevant RFC?

Thanks for reading

Craig

Dr Craig Foster                                 c.foster@???
Systems Management                                  0116 252 2245
University of Leicester Computer Centre     Leicester LE1 7RH, UK