Re: [EXIM] Exim slow on start-up

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Jhvh-1
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [EXIM] Exim slow on start-up
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Jhvh-1 wrote:

> I am running exim-1.82 on a system here. When ever exim restarts (via a
> TERM then manualy re-starting) it will take up to 3-5 minutes to start
> responding on the SMTP port. During this time the process can be killed
> but wont respond to anything else. This even happens when there are no
> messages in the queue.

This sounds as if something is hanging onto port 25 and not releasing
it. Are there any relevant entries in Exim's log? It should right
something there if it is waiting and retrying getting hold of port 25.

> I decided to upgrade to '2.02'. I use '2.02' on a different machine, and
> it runs very well. After the upgrade, the problems continued. There have
> also been delivery problems. Here are the relevent bits from the main and
> panic logs: (long-lines wrapped)
>
> mainlog:
>
> 1998-09-25 10:05:46 0zMZRK-0005aL-00 <= bbronnen@???
>    H=www.alex.net (mailhub.inettech.net) [199.3.93.193] P=esmtp S=902
>         id=Pine.GSO.3.95q.980925095718.15010A-100000@www.inettech.net
> 1998-09-25 10:05:46 0zMZRK-0005aL-00 == bbronnen@???
>    T=local_delivery defer (-1): appendfile transport process returned
>    non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1
> 1998-09-25 10:05:46 0zMZRK-0005aL-00 Frozen

> paniclog:
>
> 1998-09-25 10:05:46 0zMZRK-0005aL-00 Unable to get root to set uid and gid
>    for local delivery to bbronnen: uid=1061 euid=1061

> This is on a x86 running Solaris 2.5.1; Any ideas?

Have you remembered to make Exim setuid root? If so, try doing a
delivery with debugging turned on to see what happens:

exim -d9 -M 0zMZRK-0005aL-00