Re: [EXIM] The Body Vanishes (or: a nasty gotcha with use_cr…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Malcolm Beattie
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] The Body Vanishes (or: a nasty gotcha with use_crlf and prefix)
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Malcolm Beattie wrote:

> I finally discovered the "prefix = " option of Exim which has a
> default of "From ...\n". Note the hard-coded "\n" terminator,
> unaffected by the use_crlf option.

The terminator was put in the (configurable) string by design, so that
the whole thing was under the administrator's control. This was an
attempt at being as flexible as possible, and indeed is necessary so
that you can set the string to "" - that is, have no prefix at all.

Needless to say, I didn't forsee this kind of problem - and use_crlf was
implemented quite a long time afterwards.

> So tmail was seeing the "From "
> line first, seeing the \n-only terminator and deciding to prepend
> \r to the \n terminator on all subsequent lines.

Dare I suggest that a more robust coding would check each line
independently?

I will certainly update the documentation of use_crlf to point out the
problem. And add something to the FAQ.