著者: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Warning messages
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, John Horne wrote:

> I've received a query from a user who received a warning message regarding an
> address he "didn't send to". In fact he did send the message but the warning
> specifies the envelope address rather than the header To: address. For
> example, if I send a message to 'mjevatt@???' and get a warning
> message, then I receive:
>
>    The following address(es) have not yet been delivered:

>         mjevatt@???

> To the user this is confusing/wrong; the message was sent to
> 'mjevatt@???'. The above is the correct envelope address, as
> specified by our rewriting rules. Is there any way of getting exim to use the
> To: address instead though?

I see the confusion, but the answer is "No" because MTAs work only on
envelopes. What with forwarding and aliasing, which can happen on one
machine which then sends to another machine which then fails, I don't
know how a struggling MTA can possibly decide how an envelope address
relates to one of possibly many To: (or Cc:) addresses, if at all.

If the address is the result of aliasing *on the failing host*, then
Exim does say so in the message.