Re: [EXIM] Mail not stored in Spool Directory

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ben Smithurst
A: dhammill, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Mail not stored in Spool Directory
[your line lengths are broken, please wrap at < 80 characters]

dhammill wrote:

> I am setting up my first install of exim (version is 2.20)

Welcome... I think you mean 2.02 though, unless Philip's given you a new
version he hasn't told us about :-)

> In following the instructions I copied the EDITME file located in the
> src subdirectory to the ../Local subdirectory that I created. I then
> edited the file and specified SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim

> Unfortunately running exim with debug level 9 indicated that exim was
> attempting to deliver mail to /var/mail rather than /var/spool/exim

/var/spool/exim is where exim stores every message it receives, not where
your local users' mailboxes are. Those are, as you say, in /var/mail.
(This can be changed on the local_delivery transport, though I doubt you
need to.) To put it another way, /var/spool/exim is where messages are
stored while Exim is waiting to deliver them, either to a local mailbox
or to a remote user.

> I created /var/mail and set its mode to 777 (I know wide open) and exim
> was able to deliver mail to /var/mail. The issue that I have is that I
> would like exim to deliver the mail to /var/spool/exim as I thought it
> was configured to do. NOTE: when I ran make install the /var/spool/exim
> subdirectory was created and exim is creating exim-daemon.pid-bd in
> the /var/spool/exim directory.

Set the sticky bit: chmod 1777 /var/mail

And for security: chmod 700 /var/spool/exim (this should be owned by
your Exim user, of course.)

The exim-daemon pid file is perfectly normal.

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@??? : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)