Re: [EXIM] home not accessible -- delivery not posible

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Philipp Schott
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] home not accessible -- delivery not posible
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Philipp Schott wrote:

> just one question: we've got users who chmod'd their home to let's say 750.
> and home is nfs-mounted (no root rights over nfs!!).
> so if exim wants to deliver a mail locally it looks for ~user/.forward but exim
> cannot access home...
>
> Sep 1 11:04:21 5B:gnarz exim: 1998-09-01 11:04:20 0zCKcE-0002Cu-00 ==
> user@??? D=userforward defer (-1): failed to open
> /usr/people/user/.forward (userforward director): Permission denied (euid=0
> egid=0)

What operating system? Does it have the function seteuid()? If so, you
should set "seteuid" on the forward file director.

However, if you had defined a uid for Exim to run under instead of
letting it run as root while directing (assuming you have seteuid), it
would have done this automatically. See the discussion of seteuid in the
description of the forwardfile director.

> so, what can i do? i think the correct idea is to change root -> user,
> therefore i tried to set local_delivery: ... user = ${local_part} ...but this
> doesn't work.

No, that applies only when it is trying to deliver the message, and in
fact will happen automatically anyway. Reading the forward file happens
when it is trying to decide what to do with a message.

> this is a common problem, isn't it?

I don't think so. I think most Exim managers define a uid for Exim and
most OS have seteuid, in which case the problem solves itself. Also
closely-coupled NFS systems tend to export root.