Re: [EXIM] Inconsitancy with :fail: in alias

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Inconsitancy with :fail: in alias
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> exim -bv -v i.csendes@???
>        ^
>        ^

That was a -bt

I did cut and pasted the result, but had typed the line.

> Exim says to itself "this address is going to fail if I try to deliver
> to it; therefore verification fails". I suppose it could/should perhaps
> be cleverer and put the fail error text into the 550 error message. I've
> made a note of that.

That is what I had thought the message after :fail: was for. But now that
I read the specs again it says that the text "is placed in the error
message". By that you meant the delivery report error message, while I
was assuming the 550 error message in case of verify failures.

> If you want to let the address into your system and *then* fail it,
> you'll have to have two directors; one with verify_only set to verify
> the addresses, e.g.
>
> xxxx:
> driver = smartuser
> local_parts = lsearch;/your/alias/file
> verify_only
>
> and then put no_verify on your existing one to follow, to be used during
> delivery.

Got it! But I can't use the same alias file for both. The aliases file
for the verify_only check should not fail. So when I generate my
aliases_expired aliases file, should also generate an
aliases_expired_verify_only file that sends to mail to some address which
should never actually get the mail. Could blackhole it, but it would
be safer to actually send it to postmaster or something so that I'd notice
if the verify_only part went wrong.

One thing to keep in mind is that I was reading the wrong docs for the
actual version I'm running (running 1.92, docs for 2).

Now I have to decide whether I want to verify messages just so that
I can reject them with slighly more information.

-j

PS: I've been trying to see how I can work in a very bad pun in Hungarian
about the address I was playing with, I.Csendes (a real expired address)
and the fact that the error message I had contrived in the aliases file
was never actually reported. It should have been easy ("csendes" means
'quiet' or 'silent').

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814