Re: [EXIM] New user

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: vtmue
Para: Jon Gunnar Rue
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] New user
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Jon Gunnar Rue wrote:
> I have compiled and installed exim in an attempt to replace sendmail.
> But so far it does not work out to good.

It normally does, except for sites that require extra configuration. Exim
specs, however, provide detailed information on the latter.

> My problem is to say it short, localhost.localdomain

Hm, in context with mail you have to consider an *address* as domain:
My local maildomain, for example, is heaven.ruf.uni-freiburg.de though
heaven is a host.

> If I try to send a mai from ex. slrn. I get a post with a header like
> this:

ex. slrn. ???

> And the post is rejected by my isp's mailserver. have tried to change
> my HOSTNAME, then I get something along this in the log:
> 1998-08-09 14:34:14 Start queue run: pid=668
> 1998-08-09 14:34:14 0z5UdZ-0000AA-00 == rgunnar@???
> T=local_delivery defe$
> 1998-08-09 14:34:14 End queue run: pid=668

Did you adapt the config file(s) after changing your hostname?
Is your machine permanetly connected to the Internet? If not, does your
ISP route mail for the domain you set as sender address to you? And do
they allow relaying from your domain? Does your domain fail reverse DNS
lookup?

> I have looked in the faq's etc. Looked in the config file. Lot's of
> comments there, but it does not tell me so much I'm afraid.

See exim specs.

> >Specify your host's canonical name here. If this option is not set, the
> Canonaical name ?

heaven = hostname
heaven.ruf.uni-freiburg.de = canonical name

> # Specify the domain you want to be added to all unqualified addresses
> # here. Unqualified addresses are accepted only from local callers by
> # default. See the receiver_unqualified_{hosts,nets} options if you want
> # to permit unqualified addresses from remote sources. If this option is
> # not set, the primary_hostname value is used for qualification.
> And this. Could have been greek for my sake :-)

If I do "date > mail vtmue" "vtmue" is an unqualified address. Exim then
will append this value to vtmue, delivering it to vtmue@uni-freiburg since
"uni-freiburg.de" is my value for qualify_domain.

> But is there a faq to be found out there that give some examples in
> normal english, to be understand by a newbie. Or is there another
> simple fix. There probably is, just that I haven't found it I guess.

"normal english"???
You are kidding, aren't you?
Er, maybe you should read some American english to find out how good (not
to say sophihsticated :) that english actually is.
Anyways, I think the FAQ will be quite helpful for you. You can download
it from:

ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim/

It's currently available in html and txt format, additionally there is a
file containing configuration samples.

Good Luck,
Volker
   Volker T. Mueller             Freiburg im Breisgau BRD   "hope is the
   Student der Informatik        vtmue@???       denial of
   Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet   +49 (0)761 35503            reality"