[EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Hans Morten Kind
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] retry-database and tempfailures
It is summer and people are leaving their mailservers unattended, disks
get filled up. To efficiently handle some lists, I am running exim with
'-q1m' and this setup
queue_smtp
queue_run_max = 8
remote_max_parallel = 20
I am running exim-2.01 on Solaris-2.5.1/Ultra.

Half my mainlog consisted of errors like
SMTP error [...] after MAIL FROM: [...] 421 Disk full
exim tried delivery every minute to these hosts. Is there any reason why
exim is not using the retry-database in such cases? The disk-full
situations are reported at different stages during the SMTP-dialogue,
some servers reply 4xx after MAIL FROM:, some after DATA.

I patced the transport smtp.c to do retry_add_item when a 4xx code was
received and the loop ended at RESPONSE_FAILED:. It seemed to work fine,
delivery attempts was redused to every 15th minute. However the host is
deleted from the retry-database after a successful connection and then
added again when the 4xx response is received. This leads to the "first
failed" from exinext always shows that the first failure was max 15
minutes ago and thus the retry-interval is never incremented.

hmk