[EXIM] A solution to POP-before-relay!

Author: Doug S
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] A solution to POP-before-relay!
I just re-joined this list, but noted in the logs some requests for
pop-auth-before-relay support.

I took the starting code located at http://spam.abuse.net/tools/smPbS.html
and hacked it around a bit to work with exim.

It involves 4 scripts, the first three run at boot-time and the fourth
from root's crontab:

- one to watch the syslog to get host names and IP's
- one to update a file referred to in exim's configure file
- one to clean up old authorizations
- one that kills and restarts the first script after the syslog is rotated

Some considerations:
- 3 of the 4 scripts are written in perl.
- I'm running the latest-and-greatest version of UW IMAP4 and POP3.
this is in part because of a known hole in earlier versions of UW
IMAP4, and because this version logs the IP and the host name.
- I'm using a linear search in my exim config, because I've excluded
the local hosts from being added to this file.
- I'm running exim 1.90 with a fairly standard configuration.

If there is interest let me know, I'll see if I can make them sufficiently
generic for distribution, or at least post them and let someone else take
on the challenge...

--
Doug S. (doug@???) (http://cc.ysu.edu/~doug/)

If you get hung up on what you did wrong, you're never gonna get anywhere.
        -- Kenneth Copeland