Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tom
A: patl
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] SPAM without Message-Id:

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 patl@??? wrote:

> > > I've recently noticed some UCE/UBE arrives without a Message-Id:
> > > header, or with one from an intermediate site. What would be the
> > > best way to configure Exim 1.92 to reject any incoming message
> > > which has a Received: header but no Message-Id: ?
> >
> > Be prepared to refuse any Qmail relayed e-mail as well, as Qmail never
> > adds Message-Id headers to relayed mail, only to mail injected via
> > qmail-inject.
>
> It would not surprise me at all to discover that this is part of
> the source of the symptoms I've seen. But note that it still
> requires that the -initial- MTA failed to provide a Message-Id:

It is impossible to determine the "initial MTA". Qmail will only add
Message-Id fields to locally injected e-mail, not relayed email. If it is
relayed e-mail, it may be the "initial MTA" or it may not, you just don't
know. Would you consider any SMTP sender a MTA?

> It's been a while since I read the RFCs; but I thought that the
> MTA was -required- to add a Message-Id: if none was present. If

According to RFC822, Message-Id is optional.

> so, this would imply that qmail is not a compliant MTA. (Although,
> I can see the argument about that only being the responsibility
> of the first MTA to process the message; a counter-argument could
> be made that qmail should reject such messages.)

Again, anthing about the "initial MTA" doesn't mean anything. Most MTAs
add Message-Ids to any handled message, if it doesn't have one.

> Hmmm. I've just had a quick scan through RFC822, and it lists
> Message-Id as an optional field. Unless some other RFC requires
> it, it looks like my basic assumption was wrong.
>
> -Pat

Tom