Re: [EXIM] How to integrate Exim behind a load-balancing uni…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] How to integrate Exim behind a load-balancing unit ?
James FitzGibbon <james@???> probably said:
> > The easiest solution would be to get rid of the load balancer. Just have
> > to MX records with the same priority and the DNS does the load balancing
> > for you. I can't see the need for the load balancer for email.
>
> Not so: MX only works for other MTAs attempting to send e-mail by looking
> up MX. It does nothing for Joe ISP user who has 'smtp.isp.com' set up as
> his outbound host. The load balancer is a dual-node unit that can fail
> services over to one of the two boxes within 3 seconds of one becoming
> unresponsive for SMTP, POP, IMAP (or any other TCP service for that
> matter).

The traditional response to this is to have two A records for relay.dom.ain
When one machine is down it fails one out of two attempts and you don't
have a single point of failure :)

(and its a damn sight easier to set up).

P ... being non-optimal.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???