Re: [EXIM] Rewriting for not-local_domains

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Torsten Curdt
Cc: Exim-Mailinglist
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Rewriting for not-local_domains
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Hm... That might be an easy sollution, but such a intranet might be a
> net
> with all mixtures of machines with maybe windows on it ...
> And they don´t have a local mailqs ... Maybe they write their mail with
> Netscape ... And the receipents machine is off (home already ;-) ..
> So the mail can not be delivered before Netscape is started again ...
> But it may be an very important mail! The receipent should have next
> morning!
>
> You see the problem? ... I think also the local mail should be handled
> by the server/gateway machine ... If you have 2 of them, 1 server and 1
> gateway
> each running exim this might be no problem.

Yes indeed, if you have personal machines that go on and off you
certainly need a server (or servers) to run a mail queue for them, and
so then you would need a different gateway machine. (Some sites actually
put the mailboxes on such a server, and the users access them via NFS,
POP, or IMAP. This avoids all these addressing problems, since the
"external" addresses can always be used.)

I'm not entirely sure I do see the full details of the problem, but I
have recorded the suggestion of doing configurable rewriting in the
transports, which amounts to a sort of "built in" transport filter
mechanism.

P.Hazel@???          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@??? (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714