Re: [EXIM] debuggin flags iz buggin me

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: James Orwell
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] debuggin flags iz buggin me
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, James Orwell wrote:

> helo all,
>
> since I wish to have a closer look at what exim's doing, I set
> "STDERR_FILE=/var/log/exim.debug" in Local/Makefile, recompiled, recopied the
> "exim" binary only over to the target host, and added the flags "-df -d5" to
> its init.d/sendmail startup script:
>
> daemon /usr/lib/sendmail -df -d5 -bd -q1h
>
> (which of course points to ../exim/bin/exim)
>
> the process hangs the machine on boot-up and I have to re-start in single user
> mode to tweak the flags some more.
>
> ommitting the "-df" flag writes the messages to the screen (and prevents it
> from doing anything else on runlevel 3) and omitting the "-d<number>" flag
> means it doesn't write output. any ideas?

(1) -df was invented as a way of collecting debugging information from Exims
started up by inetd.

(2) I never expected anybody wanting to run the daemon with debugging
turned on in the system boot up files.

(3) You can run the daemon with debugging just by killing it, and then
obeying

    exim -d5 -bd -q1h

manually (as root). The debugging output is then written to stderr.
However, if you do this, the daemon does not disconnect from the
controlling terminal. This means you can kill it with ^C, even if you
have re-directed stderr somewhere else. (It is presumably this feature
that is causing the problems when you put -d in the system boot file.)

P.Hazel@???          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@??? (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714