[EXIM] elementary mail question

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: James Orwell
Para: exim-users
CC: exim-users, mark, jo
Assunto: [EXIM] elementary mail question
Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate both pointers and actual data to help me
solve the
following mail configuration problem:

Background:
===========
I am presently re-configuring machines which are at present on a class C
network, to be on a private subnet (192.168./.../). Currently, mail
delivery is
sendmail driven, with users specifying
<logon-name>@<any-of-our-machines> as
their address, with a .forward file in their home account to forward it
their 'favourite' machine. (They are *meant* to specify just the one
machine,
but you know how it is...:-)
My proposed architecture is a single mailserver, running 'exim',
connected to
the class C network, which accepts all mail for our group, and then
forwards it
(through a dual-homed host) to the private network containing the rest
of our
machines.

The Question:
=============
Is it possible for the proposed mailserving machine to intercept mail
addressed
to the (now obselete) IP addresses of the other machines, and direct it
to the
new private network? I find it counter-intuitive that a machine other
than the
recipient host is allowed to do anything at all with such mail, but then
again
I don't know much about these things...

<posted to comp.mail.misc, comp.mail.sendmail, and exim-users@???>

cheers then,

James Orwell

James Orwell                                   email:
jo@???
Image Processing Group                         phone: 0171 873 2894
Physics Department,                            fax:   0171 873 2716
Kings College London.
WC2R 2LS