[EXIM] Stability...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] Stability...
Hi,

First, I'd like to apologize before hand if this topic has been covered
recently, as I've been away from the list for what seems like 6 or 7 months.

We are currently using Exim 1.62 and eximstats shows about an
average of 60,000 to 70,000 email deliverys a day. While Exim is
actually handling the load very nicely, we're interested in upgrading
to take advantage of performance gains from better queue management in
the newer releases.

However, our concern is the constant addition of features to Exim
and it's potential impact on Exim's stability.

Does Exim go through periods of "no new features" where bug fixes
are made until the release can become "stable"? I guess I'm hoping
for something similar to the Apache project where features are added
in one large development time period and then features are frozen
while bugs are fixed. The result is that the "release" versions of
Apache are amazingly solid and bug free.

Having read _every_ single entry in the ChangeLog (which took quite
a while), I really never found a point where there was a "stable"
release that had features frozen and all known bugs fixed.

1.92 looked stable, but then I see that 1.927 alpha fixed a bunch of
problems from 1.92 that handled split spool directories. So now 1.927 alpha
looks like the best choice, but I'm concerned about using alpha software.

Is baseline stability something planned for the 2.0 release? Do you
forsee the development cycle of Exim changing more towards this kind
of development?

The ideal situation would be to freeze new features at some point
in the near future and only fix outstanding bugs. Exim would continue
to become more and more stable, and at some point it could become
the baseline for future development.

Your thoughts?

P.S. Exim rules.

--