Re: [EXIM] exim as generic queue manager

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Malcolm Beattie
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] exim as generic queue manager
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Malcolm Beattie wrote:

> What I need to know is whether exim
> (1) can handle mail bodies containing binary data (unencoded) in the
> sense that any ASCII character can appear (NULs included) and

Yes, Exim is supposed to be entirely 8-bit transparent, but...

> (2) can handle (reliably and efficiently) mail bodies where the length
> of a "line" may be very long (e.g. 50MB if a large file to be printed
> doesn't contain many LFs for some reason).

When data is transported over SMTP it is conceived as "lines" terminated
by CR LF, with the whole message terminated by a line containing just
".". When Exim receives data over SMTP, it

(a) converts CR LF into LF to convert lines into the normal Unix form
(b) removes the first "." of any data line, since that is how lines
    starting with dot are transmitted

When it sends data it does the opposite, so binary files should get
transmitted transparently. Also, it should be OK with lines of any
length, but I doubt whether anyone has tested out the humungous cases.

I suggest you set up some appropriate tests to make sure that Exim
actually behaves as I have described.

P.Hazel@???          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@??? (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714