Re: [EXIM] 1) strange reject, take #2 2) failed DNS lookup…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Peter Gervai
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] 1) strange reject, take #2 2) failed DNS lookup problem
On Fri, 8 May 1998, Peter Gervai wrote:

> Allright. But what is the problem here? (<e9> is the character e + '
> accent)
> 1998-05-07 23:58:05 0yXYg1-0006s8-00 rejected from www.virnet.org
> (khjudit.tolna.net) [195.70.46.146] <khjudit@???>: syntax error
> in 'From' header: missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<"):
> <Kocsisn<E9> Hangonyi Judit <khjudit@???>
> >
> Recipients: johannes@???
> P Received: from www.virnet.org (khjudit.tolna.net) [195.70.46.146]
>         by melanie.tolna.net with smtp (Exim 1.92 #1 (Debian))
>         id 0yXYg1-0006s8-00; Thu, 7 May 1998 23:58:05 +0200
> I Message-ID: <35522EAC.6CA8@???>
>   Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 23:59:08 +0200
> F From: Kocsisn<E9> Hangonyi Judit <khjudit@???>

I have just tried this, with an E9 character in place, and it did not
give an error. This error message indicates a problem with the text
preceding the "<", but it shouldn't be bothered by top-bit characters.

> ..there were similar rejects as well on other pieces of mail.

Can you send me some more examples, just in case they give any further
clues?

> 2) I understand it is problematic when a misconfigured mail server doesn't
> have rev DNS, but I don't want to REJECT them all. I'd like to have a
> dns_reject_exception list but I was not able to create one. Is it possible
> not to reject such hosts? Follows:
> 1998-05-08 00:24:36 connection from [199.44.170.231] refused (reject
> host) (failed to find sending host name from IP address)

If you include the item +allow_unknown in your host reject list, it
will permit connections from hosts that it cannot reverse lookup. There
isn't any way of restricting this to any particular host or network, I'm
afraid.

However, you could alternatively make use of sender_net_reject_except to
permit all hosts on specific networks.