Re: [EXIM] Cookbook example of etrn plz?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Paul Mansfield
Cc: Kerry Hoath, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Cookbook example of etrn plz?

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Paul Mansfield wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:21:36 +0100 (BST)
> From: Paul Mansfield <paulm@???>
> To: djc@???
> Cc: Kerry Hoath <kerry@???>, exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Cookbook example of etrn plz?
>
> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Dave C. wrote:
> > One of our clients that is currently using UUCP wants to use
> > MS-Exchange Server (ugh)..
> yes, ugh!
>
> > I am strongly recommending that they use a third party UUCP package
> > Exchange rather than ETRN as recommended by the Exchange documentation,
> > but I am investigating ETRN in case they come out strongly against
> > that.
> ETRN is OK, but I'd set up Exim to only allow it from "trusted" networks!

Indeed.. If we end up having to do this I will certainly allow it only
from the specific hosts that need mail queued that way..

> > UUCP is _THE_ way to do store-and-forward email over a dialup link. It
> > may be old, but it is tried and true.
>
> Erm, well, not many ISPs have UUCP accounts... ob. plug - we do
> see http://www.uk.psi.com

Why you think I was plugging it? In fact, around the bgeinning of the
year we got a small handfull of new UUCP customers because a competing
ISP in the area decided to no longer support UUCP..

> I'd have thought that POP accounts and fetchmail might be a good solution. We
> have a multiple-mailbox pop service which will handle multiple domains.
>
> > ETRN is an ugly hack to support systems that can't do UUCP.
>
> The big advantage of UUCP is that since there's no direct IP connection, it's
> relatively immune to spammer attack and/or direct attack on the uucp host.
>
> I did once wonder whether you could write a web proxy which used UUCP as a
> transport as an amusingly bizarre experiment, but decided it'd be too
> masochistic!

uux somesystem!lynx -source $URL > mysystem!lynxout.html ?? :P

Or something like that.. I'm not intensively familiar with uucp command
syntax..