Re: [EXIM] lock file

Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] lock file
Philip Hazel wrote:

> > > You should set there whatever is standard on your operating system. Some
> > > operating systems call it /var/spool/mail. You normally need to set the
> > > "sticky bit" (the "t" bit) on shared mail directories like this. We have

> > > drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root      212992 Apr 27 15:16 /var/mail/

> > Just as a point of interest, why do you set /var/mail as world-writable?
> > I'm sure our version of Cops would yuk at this, ours is 1770 and all
> > works perfectly, alway has.

> Presumably you run local deliveries under some specific mail group? For
> systems that do not, the alternative is "world writeable, sticky bit
> set". Just like /tmp, in fact.

Exim runs under UID Exim and /var/mail is a symlink to /usr/spool/mail,
owner Exim and group other (which is our normal user group). Cops would
yuk about /var/mail being world writeable because in theory anyone could
create or mv mail files. In fact, as Tony I can both touch and rm files
that I've created in /var/mail.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw