Re: [EXIM] version 1.91 problems

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Pollywog
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] version 1.91 problems

pollywog@??? said:
} My Linux is not ancient. If I forgot to mention, it is 2.0.29

This is a rather common misconception. Your kernel is version 2.0.29,
that says nothing else about your system - which might be a seriously
ancient distribution with the early a.out libraries.

Broadly it currently appears that there are 2 main streams of Linux
distributions at the moment (from the point of view of building things).
This is basically:-

  1. Glibc-2 (libc-6) based.  Red Hat 5.0 and pre-release debian only.
     [and possibly all Alpha distributions]
     The glibc stuff has as one of its intended aims the decoupling of
     the libraries and includes from kernel version dependencies, so
     things such as the ip options are different in this to other
     versions.  Other libraries are split out differently (ie resolv
     is not in the main libc).

  2. libc-3,4,5.  Red Hat 4.2 and most everyone else.
     More kernel dependencies - things ref /usr/include/linux
     (symlink into kernel tree).  ip options (for example) comes
     from the kernel set and so change depending on the kernel
     you compile against.

[a.out distributions are not worth worrying about now]

So if you are having portability problems with Linux then you need to
report the kernel AND the distribution/library/compiler versions. Also
which other things you compile against - I *always* use the DB libraries
rather than gdbm,ndbm etc

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]