Re: [EXIM] HELO Syntax checking switch?

Autor: Paul Mansfield
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: Exim users mailing list
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] HELO Syntax checking switch?

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> Sites that behave badly, whether through ignorance, policy or incompetence
> should not be accomodated. (It is particularly hypocritical of me to
> say this, since two of our mailhubs are still potential bad guys at the
> moment, but I am working on it.)

We have encouraged customers to ensure they are RFC compliant and now new
customers are checked at the install phase to make sure their mail systems
"do the right thing".

Customers who did not understand the wisdom of being RFC compliant, have
generally been converted, because they have realised that we were unable to
accomodate their broken systems on the new mail relays and had to suffer a
performance hit using an old sendmail based relay...

> here: My views do not represent Cranfield policy, but are my own
> opinions. In fact, I suspect that the opinions stated in this message are
> even a minority view among our email team.

However, we now get less than 1.5% failure rate on our email relays (on 50000
msgs per day), which I attribute to the relays being fairly ruthless.... and we
get very few complaints about spam too.

Essentially we converted hidden problems where customers managed to scrape by
with broken clients, into highly visible problems, which have been generally
well sorted out...

We find that nearly 95% of all email is delivered in 15 minutes or less, and
have been congratulated on the performance.

Exim 1, Sendmail 0.

Paul
----
*** If a grand piano had a rubout key, I'd be a concert pianist by now! ***