著者: Philip Hazel
To: Frank Bonnet
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] translate messages from exim
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> I would like to translate in French all error and informative
> messages sent by exim to users, are they written in separated
> files or "builtin" in code ?

As from version 1.90, the error and delay reports are generated from
files. See chapter 34 of the manual.

However, individual error texts generated by the code itself are, I'm
afraid, built into the code.

> yes ! there are people here that doesn't speaks English.
>
> I haven't scanned sources yet but I want to know
> if it is possible or not BEFORE beginning to translate

This is actually a very tricky problem. If you turn all the messages into
French you keep your local users very happy, but if the servers are
handling mail from other countries, sending back French messages is not
so kind. If you duplicate each message in two or more languages it can
look very messy. I suppose what we really need is some new header such as

Send-messages-in: French

that the sender of a message can set, but I don't suppose that will
come for a long time.

I guess Exim could really keep all its message strings in a separate
module that is easily replaced, but that still doesn't solve the problem
really.