Re: [EXIM] lock file

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Rolando Riley (Industrial)
CC: exim-users, paulm
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] lock file
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Rolando Riley (Industrial) wrote:

> 1998-04-23 13:53:00 rriley@??? <rriley@???>:
> local_delivery transport deferred: no such file or directory: creating
> lock file hitching post
> /var/mail/rriley.lock.ns.fii.utp.ac.pa.353f8e22.0000010f
>
>    I looked to the /var/mail discovering that there is no such
> directory so I created it trying to solve the problem with no succes.
>    I suppose the answer is on the following lines which I don't
> understand at all:

>                 This is how I have set the "configure" file

> local delivery:
>     driver= appendfile
>     file= var/mail/${local part}
> # group = mail
> # mode = 0660

>    Why Exim is trying to creat a lock file?

Because that is the traditional way of locking mail folders. You can
disable it - see the use_lockfile option - but only do this if you are
*sure* that the MUAs that will use the file also do fcntl locking.

    file= var/mail/${local part}

I presume that really was

    file= /var/mail/${local_part}

You should set there whatever is standard on your operating system. Some
operating systems call it /var/spool/mail. You normally need to set the
"sticky bit" (the "t" bit) on shared mail directories like this. We have

drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root      212992 Apr 27 15:16 /var/mail/