Re: [EXIM] question about verification of email addresses

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: Chris Faehl, Exim
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] question about verification of email addresses
Chris Faehl wrote:

[Paul Mansfield}
> > > As I said, my experience doesn't conform to that percentage;

> > hmmm, if I encounter someone who allows verify, I suggest they turn it off!

> > > I see that Philip's site practises what it preaches. Tell us a little
> > > about the security risks, please?

> > well, it means someone can expand mail addresses, and fundamentally get
> > information about real users... like finger. they can they try and crack
> > logins.

> Like they can't get plenty of account info just by scanning newsgroups and
> mailing list archives... vrfy is only really going to work if you already
> know an email address (expn is probably a good thing to disallow).

> Being able to verify email addresses and perform remote fingers is
> convenient. I doubt this information really constitutes that
> great a security risk.

This is precisely my feeling. I'm pretty paranoid about our network,
cops, firewall, proxy out, all kinds of restrictions. I can't see any
risk whatsoever in verifying that a person exists. And of course we
allow people to finger us. Now crack our Unix server, telnet to it,
rlogin, rexec, WinNuke it, bombard it, IP-spoof it, get our high ports -
I'll know who you are and precisely what you're doing, and will be in
touch with your administrator by return.

Thanks, Chris

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw