[EXIM] maximizing thru-put

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: mark david mcCreary
To: exim-users
Betreff: [EXIM] maximizing thru-put
I am interested in configuring Exim to maximize thruput of email in the
following situation. By maximizing thru-put, I want the mail to be
delivered in the shortest possible time. I'm thinking that the biggest
benefit can be achieved by sending all possible mail to a host after the
connection is opened.

Let's say 5 mail messages are received for a mailing list within a short
period of time. Let's say that the mailing list has 1,000 people, including
500 at aol.com, and the rest scattered over the map.

I think the following parameters are important

max_rcpt in the SMTP transport section. If set to 500 in this example, each
mail message should only be sent only one time to aol.com

remote_max_parallel in the main configuration setting. Setting it to 11
should get 11 remote deliveries running at one time, for mail message.

queue_smtp in main configuration setting. Probably does not have any
effect, when Exim is called with command line of -odqs

The new qq method in Exim 1.89 does not seem to apply to this situation.

The mailing list is called with the -odqs option, meaning that the message
should be written to the queue, and routing started. The mailing list is
using the aliasfile director, which means that one queue job has all 1,000
addresses. The routing might take 45 minutes for 500 different hosts, and
after the routing is done, the next queue runner should pick up the job.

I should be able to tell from the log when a message was delivered via an
open connection, because of the -> symbol.

1998-03-25 00:01:25 0yHdUu-0007OY-00 => joe@???
1998-03-25 00:01:25 0yHdUu-0007OY-00 -> sam@???
1998-03-25 00:01:25 0yHdUu-0007OY-00 -> bob@???

If I have the queue runners set to run every minute, then perhaps 45
minutes after the 5 mail messages have been recived, the first mail message
should start being delivered. The other 4 are finishing up routing, and
will start running in another minute or two, as the next queue runner finds
the next available job.

After 5 minutes or so, 5 jobs should be running, each delivering to 11
hosts at a time, or approximately 55 deliveries simultaneously.

In reviewing my log file for -> symbols, I am not convinced that I am
achieving the best results.

Any comments or suggestions ?

Thanks

mark

mark david mcCreary
Internet Tools, Inc.            1436 West Gray #438
mdm@???          Houston, Texas 77019
http://www.internet-tools.com   713.627.9600