Re: [EXIM] Spool directory on NFS ?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: James FitzGibbon
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Spool directory on NFS ?

james@??? said:
} I'm interested in hearing if anyone has used exim with the
} spool_directory option set to an NFS directory. I'm trying to do two
} things: store the spool on NFS, and if possible share the spool
} directory among multiple hosts.

I have heard of other people doing this with success.
You *cannot* share the exim spool directory (ie /var/spool/exim on my
system) between live systems. Not nohow.... [you don't actually trust
NFS do you - the db files will fall apart]

You need working NFS locking, or at least locking on the local host to an
NFS file system (so Linux 2.0.x would be OK even though it has no network
locking).

You can set spool directory to something like /nfs_spool/exim/$primary_host
name
That gives a unique spool per system, and also allow you to build a
special config in a minute or two should one machine go down and you want
another to run its queue.

Unless you have a good NFS system (ie NetApps) you may find that your
performance sucks.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]