[EXIM] Detailed Q on Exim's delivery method

Author: Lazlo Nibble
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Detailed Q on Exim's delivery method
Sorry if this has been asked recently -- I didn't see it in the last few
months' archives and the documentation doesn't seem to be quite as detailed as
I need.

The site where my majordomo mailing lists live runs exim as its MTA. From
time to time, people who join a mailing list will suddenly get a collection of
messages that were posted to the list shortly before they joined. This is
*not* a majordomo feature -- in fact it's come up before on majordomo-users as
a bug, and was explained away there as a problem with smail, to wit:

  * Message A is posted to the list, delivered to most users, remains in
    queue for further retrys to a handful of addresses.

  * Subscriber Z joins the list, gets intro messages, starts to get new
    messages as they're posted to the list.

  * smail walks the queue to look for pending deliveries, finds message A, and
    *checks the list subscriber file for addresses it has not yet delivered
    that message to* (i.e., it keeps its own "successful deliveries" state but
    relies on the list subscriber file (an :include: alias under sendmail,
    dunno how it's handled under smail or exim) for the "intended recipients"
    list).

  * smail sees subscriber Z on the subscriber list but not on the
    "successfully delivered" list, so it sends Z a copy of message A
    even though Z wasn't actually on the list with A was posted.

I don't know if that's really how smail works, but that's the story I heard.

THE QUESTION: is it possible for this to happen under exim as currently
(or recently) designed?

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo@???; http://www.swcp.com/lazlo)
::: Internet Music Wantlists: http://www.swcp.com/lazlo/Wantlists