Re: [EXIM] interesting effect using rewriting?

Author: Paul Mansfield
To: John Henders
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [EXIM] interesting effect using rewriting?

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, John Henders wrote:
> > I have sender_verify on and sender_verify_fixup, and I have rewrite rules
> > in the configure file for
> >
> >     *@something.net    $1@???

> > where the MX records for something.net point to the machine so that it will
> > forward the mail from fred@??? to fred@???

to clarify:
    something.net -> MX records -> relay1.mail

    relay1 has a rewrite rule for *@something.net to $1@???

    something.co.uk -> MX records -> external host

so mail comes in for fred@???, gets rewritten to fred@???
and then gets delivered off host

if the mail is from jim@???, this seems to be the problem...
the forwarding works fine otherwise.

> > If I connect to the machine and say
> >     helo <whatever>
> >     mail from: fred@???
> >     rcpt to: <anybody>
> >     data
> >     . (end)

> > then it says
> > "451 rejected: temporarily unable to verify sender address (try again later)
> > <fred@???>"
> >

> Something.net has to have a valid mx if you are using sender_verify.

yes, it has (I was using these as examples)... I can do all manner of
tests to prove this!

> > I tried adding something.net into the local_domains to see if this would fix
> > the problem, and saw
> > "550 rejected: unknown local-part in sender <fred@???>"

I think this simply proves that Exim was checking for local delivery *before*
rewriting.
> This looks like you have receiver_verify turned on too. That's probably
> not a good idea for a relay machine doing rewriting.

no, this is a red herring caused by me fiddling with local_domains to see if
it would fool it into verifying before the rewrite...

> what does exim -bv user@??? say?

I'll give this a go.

# exim -bv fred@???
Address rewritten as: fred@???
fred@??? verified

I'm therefore coming to the assumption that its ONLY when Exim tries to
verify the sender when the sender is in a domain being rewritten.

Paul