Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chris Thompson
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?
John Henders & Philip Hazel write, inter alia...

John> I don't know how common it is for people to run exim as a symlink to
John> sendmail rather than just renaming the binary.

Philip> I do!

John> At least on our Solaris
John> machines, /usr/bin/ps won't show exim as sendmail if it's run this way,
John> though /usr/ucb/ps will.

Philip> Neither will ours.

Solaris 2 /usr/bin/ps will display lots of things for you: it all depends what
options you give it. The only thing that /usr/ucb/ps will display that I don't
know how to get out of /usr/bin/ps is the accumulated subprocess CPU time
(-S in /usr/ucb/ps).

Perhaps more to the point, in 2.5 and later, the -o option to /usr/bin/ps
allows much greater control over fields printed, making grepping the output
almost reputable. "-o fname" and "-o comm" give you the two different forms
of the command name, for example.

Of course, the consistency of ps options between Unix flavours is almost
non-existent. But it would be nice of exiwhat had enough configurability
to be able to be made to use options like Solaris 2's -o when they exist.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.