Re: [EXIM] compile Exim 1.89 on Red Hat 5.0

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: mark david mcCreary, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] compile Exim 1.89 on Red Hat 5.0
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> However I am finding in my build scripts that sometimes if you just do a
> "make", the build-* directory and new makefile are produced, but make
> continues using variables from the previous (default) setup, which can
> cause the build to fail, so I do
>
>    make build-directory
>    make makefile
>    make

> as 3 explicit operations which seems to work better.
>
> [Philip, I guess this may be a buglet with the build process.]

Do you remember the early releases of Exim where you had to run 'make'
twice? Once to build the makefile, and then for real? I was persuaded to
make it 'carry on automatically' because 'clearly that is the right
thing to do to make it easy for the user'. Most of the time it does
indeed work out OK, but 'make' is a tricky beast and occasionally there
seem to be glitches when it tries to re-run itself after building the
makefile.

I could either leave it as it is or revert to something like the
previous scheme whereby if it ever builds the makefile, it stops and
says "Please now run 'make' again". One problem with that is that the
only way to stop it seems to be to force an error, and that looks ugly.

Any 'make' experts on this list?