Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Georg v.Zezschwitz
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Georg v.Zezschwitz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:44:44 +0100
> From: "Georg v.Zezschwitz" <gvz@???>
> To: Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
> Cc: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] What about setproctitle?
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 03:25:34PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Georg v.Zezschwitz wrote:
> >
> > > What about using setproctitle in Exim 1.far.future ?
> >
> > When (in the far future) it's available in all the Unices Exim supports,
> > then maybe I'll consider it. (I don't see it on Solaris or Linux, for a
> > start.)
>
> nnrpd from the INN-news-server packages supports it pretty
> well.
>
> On Linux or Solaris it uses a rather ugly approach
> that you might find in nnrpd.c from the INN-package:
>
> It determines the number of bytes that are allocated from
> argv [0] to argv [argc-1]+strlen(argv[argc-1]).
>
> This area is "brutally" overwritten with the new title,
> and this works fine.
>
> > Meanwhile, what's wrong with using exiwhat?
>
> Silly who think they know Exim have to be pointed to that
> by the author.
> If a "ps" would be sufficient, they would have already discovered
> by themselve. :-)

That and that it works everytime:

maple:/var/log# ps -ax | grep exim
17270  ?  S     0:00 /usr/local/exim/exim -bd -q3m -odqs
17292  ?  S     0:00 /usr/local/exim/exim -bd -q3m -odqs
maple:/var/log# /usr/local/exim/exiwhat
No exim process data
maple:/var/log# ps -ax | grep exim
17292  ?  S     0:00 /usr/local/exim/exim -bd -q3m -odqs
maple:/var/log# /usr/local/exim/exiwhat
No exim process data
maple:/var/log# ps -ax | grep exim
17292  ?  S     0:00 /usr/local/exim/exim -bd -q3m -odqs
maple:/var/log# /usr/local/exim/exiwhat
No exim process data

I still havent figured out exactly why it does this, but I think its
related to permissions. Exim is giving up its root permissions, but not
regaining them when it needs to create the exim_processlog file, and is
therefore unable to create that file..