[EXIM] Address rewriting and DNS

Author: Craig Foster
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Address rewriting and DNS
Is it possible to get exim to use the DNS at the address rewriting
stage, in order to get fq addresses before routing etc? I'll try
to explain what I'm attempting...

Nothing unusual, just configuring exim for a mail hub. It'll be
handling, for example, mail for ion, ion.le, ionospheric-physics,
ionospheric-physics.leicester, ion.le.ac.uk etc. All of our
local mail domains have a long and short form like this. Now, I
see that I could use a table lookup in a rewrite rule to fully
qualify all local addresses...

ion:ion.le.ac.uk
ionospheric-physics:ionospheric-physics.leicester.ac.uk

then use another table with the domainlist router to determine the
host to route to and the hostname lookup policy, eg.

ion.le.ac.uk $domain bydns_a
ionospheric-physics.leicester.ac.uk ion.le.ac.uk bydns_a

(localhost is an MX for ion, hence bydns_a).

However, I think I could do away with the first table if
I could use the DNS for get fq domains at the rewriting stage.

Am I just making things too complicated? Any advice gratefully
received.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Foster                                         cf2@???
Network Support                                     0116 252 2245
University of Leicester Computer Centre     Leicester LE1 7RH, UK