[EXIM] Strange lookup - best way ? and appendfile directory …

Author: Ian Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Strange lookup - best way ? and appendfile directory logging
Two things: firstly, is there a cleaner way to achieve what the
transport and director I attach below do ? I really want to do only
one lookup while mapping from local addresses to newsgroup names. The
solution below does seem to work correctly and be reasonably
efficient, but it's a bit of a hack (particularly, storing random data
- the newsgroup name - in the local-part).

Secondly, I notice that the appendfile transport driver doesn't seem
to log the unique filename it uses when delivering to a directory.
I'd like it to do this so that I can track messages through the logs.
For example, there's nothing much to relate these two entries, one
from Exim and one from my gateway script, apart from the newsgroup
name:

[32422]: 0yAbBf-000BjK => chiark.test

(The latter indicates that q0yAbBf-000BjK was sent successfully to
chiark.test.)

Ian.

# In my transports section:
mailinglists_dir_transp:
    driver=appendfile,
    remove_headers="x-mailinglist-newsgroup",
    add_headers="X-Mailinglist-Newsgroup: $local_part";
    directory="/var/lib/news/mail2news2/"
    create_directory=false
    user=news
    group=news