Re: [EXIM] helo_verify request for feature

Author: Dave C.
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Paul Mansfield, Philip Hazel, Alan B. Clegg, John Henders, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] helo_verify request for feature

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:10:32 +0000
> From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???>
> To: Paul Mansfield <paulm@???>
> Cc: Philip Hazel <ph10@???>,
>     "Alan B. Clegg" <abc@???>,
>     John Henders <jhenders@???>, exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] helo_verify request for feature

> paulm@??? said:
> } is there any way Exim could let the mail through but bounce an warning
> } to the sender, so that they get fed up and change their configuration?
> }
>
> Too esoteric to have as an MTA option. If you are really keen on this
> then build a perl script to parse the logs, identify messages like this,
> and mail the sender. Of course if its a NT mailserver thats shot then the
> original sender may well be very much the wrong person to send a complaint
> to, so I guess you Cc them all to bill.gates@??? .
>
>     Nigel.

Why not postmaster@domain (or @host) ??

Of course, half the implementations of mail on NT servers I've seen
dont even recognize postmaster anyway, in clear violation of 822.

I vote for having more options, to allow the local administrator to
fine-tune behavior. (with sane default values of course)