Re: [EXIM] Flogging a deceased equine

Author: david
To: Stuart Lynne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Flogging a deceased equine
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Stuart Lynne wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.980205081716.338S-100000@???>,
> Alan Barrett <apb@???> wrote:
> >> = When the same user connects to your SMPT server

[....]

> The simplest design I can think of would be to have a dbm file that
> stored a timestamp of last POP time with a key of the IP address.
>
> Then extend sender_net_accept_relay to allow lookup IP address in
> a DBM file and allow relay if timestamp is less than N seconds old.

I like this idea:)

> A perl script to tail a pop log to insert the timestamps is only
> a few lines of code. As is a script to clean out old data.

But this is a real kluge:(

Why not add 5 lines of code to the pop daemon to have *it* write it
instead of counting on another hacked program to be running, reading a log
file, etc?

Source is available for the most popular pop servers:)

--- David Miller

        It's *amazing* what one can accomplish when
            one doesn't know what one can't do!