Re: [EXIM] Bug in \self handling?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Karsten Thygesen
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Bug in \self handling?
On 11 Feb 1998, Karsten Thygesen wrote:

> One of my users have a .forward file containing:
>
> \username
> /var/mail/username
>
> The relevant exim config is:
>
> # primary_hostname =
> qualify_domain = kom.auc.dk
> local_domains = kom.auc.dk:cpk.auc.dk:*.kom.auc.dk:*.cpk.auc.dk
> local_domains_include_host_literals
>
> When he receive mail as username@???, he gets two copies in his
> /var/mail/username, but when he get it as username@???, he only
> gets one.
>
> Is this a bug? I would assume, that \username was expanded to somehow
> cover alle domains. How should I configure exim to get around this
> problem?

It is not a bug. An unqualified local part in a .forward file gets
qualified with the qualify domain. Thus:

username@??? -> .forward file -> username@???
                                     -> /var/mail/username

this then passes through the .forward file again, because it is a
different address that that director has not handled, so

username@??? -> .forward file -> username@???
                                     -> /var/mail/username

Now username@??? *has* been seen by the forwardfile director, so
it won't loop trying it again.

Why are the two instances of /var/mail/username not treated as
duplicates you ask? This is quite deliberate, because two different
addresses mapping to the same file (or pipe) usually require two
different deliveries.

One way out of this would be for you to rewrite username@??? to
be username@??? in the envelope address.

At present, Exim pays no attention to the "\" that appears before the
username in the .forward file. I was wondering about changing that so
that it would instead pass the address on to the next director. Another
possible change would be to make it qualify such addresses with the
domain of the incoming address rather than the standard qualify domain.
One or both of these might get done.