Re: [EXIM] I'm confused about rewriting...

Author: Hugh Sasse
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] I'm confused about rewriting...
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Not possible. At present Exim keeps just one copy of the headers for all
> recipients. It seems to me that the rewriting should happen in the hub,

    Well, that is what I thought, but I have been instructed to rewrite.
    Looks like everything will have to leave may subdomain as *@dmu.ac.uk
    then, and load the hub.

> and you should use routing to arrange not to send anything there unless
> it is outward bound. The hub can then just rewrite always.

    The hub will re-route *@dmu.ac.uk to the right machines.  So
    now to have a look at smartuser again, so I know which *@dmu is
    really local.

> > Because the rewriting is conditional on destination it seems I have to do
> > this with the system filter, but I cannot see how.
>
> System filter is run at the start of delivery, long before any routing
> or directing happens. It is those that determine the destinations. Also
> the system filter is run just *once per message*, not per address.

    Ok, I was just thinking about moving some of the routing intelligence
    further forward.  Now I will just keep it simple! :-)

    Thank you.  At least I know now why I was finding it so hard
    to find this scenario in the docs :-)

> --
> Philip Hazel                   University Computing Service,
> ph10@???             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
> P.Hazel@???          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714

    Hugh
    hgs@???