Re: [EXIM] Bug? "all hosts have been failing for a long time…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steven Clarke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Bug? "all hosts have been failing for a long time"
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Steven Clarke wrote:

> 1998-02-09 12:32:29 Start queue run: pid=8089
> 1998-02-09 12:32:29 0y16sK-0002WG-00 => user_a@???
> D=relay_local T=relay_smtp H=mail.cust.co.uk.localnet [10.1.1.1]
> 1998-02-09 12:32:29 0y16sK-0002WG-00 Completed
> 1998-02-09 12:32:30 0y1sN5-0001x0-00 ** user_b@???
> D=relay_local T=relay_smtp: all hosts have been failing for a long time and
> were last tried after this message arrived

That is weird! Were they really both to the same "cust.co.uk"?

> In this instance, every second instance is failing but this varies. Exim
> doesn't seem to be retrying the messages before bouncing them despite them
> only having spent a couple of hours in the queue, the mail server only
> having been down for about a day and the "no_delay_after_cutoff" option.

... and your retry configuration being what?

Exim does retrying based on hosts' (well, IP addresses) downtime, not on
message's queue time. If a host has been dead long enough, it will bounce
a new message straight away.

> Relevant transport:
>  relay_smtp:
>    driver = smtp;
>    hosts = mail.cust.co.uk.,

                            ^
                            ^
                            ^
                   This shouldn't be there, but if it were causing a
                   problem, no messages would have got through.

> Any ideas what's wrong? I have a snaphost of the db directory while this
> is occuring if it is likely to help.

It might well.

If you can bear to reproduce the problem, running

exim -d9 -qf

would provide a lot of information as to why it is behaving the way it
is.