[EXIM] Confused about MX looping.

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Confused about MX looping.
I am trying to configure a host or two which will, among other things,
be MX back-ups for other hosts.

For example, rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk may have an MX entry like
          10 gate.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
          30 neptune.pegasus.cranfield.ac.uk

And it is neptune that I am putting exim on.

First of all, it appears that the default configuration works.
With no routers other than what is in the default configuration,
this appears to actually work just fine. However, I fear that this
in not safe. If gate.rmcs goes down, do I have a chance of looping?
What do I need to do to stop it?

With sendmail there was a mailertable file in which I would list something
like

   rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk         smtp:[gate.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk]

Do I need a router like this?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814