Re: [EXIM] I guess I don't understand "relaying"

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Bruce Bowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] I guess I don't understand "relaying"
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Bruce Bowler wrote:

> I just this morning switched on Exim on our main mail server.
>
> Every time I try and send a message from my PC, I get...
>
> >1998-01-27 08:13:17 refused relay (host reject) to
> <Ian.Clayton@???> >from <bbowler@???>
> H=(balchlab3.bigelow.org) [198.116.72.69]
>
> in mainlog and in rejectlog. Why?
>
> The IP address of the PC is 198.116.72.69. That address in not registered
> in DNS, but being W95 identifies itself as balchlab3.bigelow.org. My local
> domain is bigelow.org and 198.116.72. is the class C address range that I'm
> responsible for.
>
> My configuration file is essentially an "out of the box" file with the only
> modifications being those related to my mail servers nodenames and to set
> locally_caseless to false.

The out of the box configuration locks out mail relaying, because so
many idiots out there are abusing any machine they can find which is
open to all relaying. Note the setting

sender_host_reject_relay = *

> So, how do I make it work so that anyone with an IP address in my class C
> can send using our mail server? Will
>
>    sender_net_accept_relay 198.116.72.0/24

> do the trick?

Yes, provided you remove

sender_host_reject_relay = *

as well, since rejects override accepts.