Re: [EXIM] Query

Author: Chris Thompson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Query
Martyn Griffiths wrote:
[...]
> Message 0xwnCm-0001M5-00 has been frozen. The sender is
> <somebody@???>.
>
> The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> defaultuser@???: remote host address is the local host

[...]

Philip Hazel wrote:

> Look in the DNS:
>
> taurus$ host domain.com
> domain.com              A       127.0.0.1

> I suppose somebody thought that would be useful.

Somebody needs their head examining, then. "domain.com" *claims* to be "for
use by vendors and authors in default configurations, examples". In so far as
the intent is to make things like "defaultuser@???" invalid [unlike some
other domains used in MUA initial configurations which were subsequently stolen
by being registered with the InterNIC] the last thing they should have done is
to invent an A record for it.

The WHOIS and SOA records give the contact point as "user@???".
The A record for host.domain.com points to, you've guessed it, 127.0.0.1.
The WHOIS data also contains "2355 Virginia Street, Berkeley, CA 94709-1315",
and "+1 510 540 8000 (FAX) +1 510 548 1891". For all I know, these may be
implementations of the loopback interface in their respective technologies :-)

There seems to be a lot of A records like this around these days. It seems to
be the thing every spotty teenager who obtains their own domain does to show
how clever they are. A good way to stop Exim freezing messages to them, as
above, is to use "self=fail_hard" on your lookuphost routers.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.