Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Greg A. Woods
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation
[ On Thu, January 22, 1998 at 22:49:00 (+0000), Sean Witham wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Deliveryconfirmation
>
> What do poeple think on the idea of read-recepts then ? Its an MUA
> facility but should the delivery-recepts be an MTA task unless a
> filter is detected in the local delivery stages i.e. exim doesn't
> append to /var/mail/<users email box file>

I don't like either, not in the MUA, and not in the MTA.

One can only draw parallels between real mail and e-mail so far, and I
don't think receipt or read notification has any place in e-mail. It
can be abused too easily, there's no additional cost, it's currently
worse at setting expectations than nothing at all, and it lends an
impression about e-mail that is completely impossible to live up to.

If you want to emulate "registered" mail then use PGP and ask the
recipent to reply. If they don't and you're wondering what's up then
call them on the telephone for a quick confirmation (i.e. use
out-of-band channels, which is what registered snail mail really does in
the first place).

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>