Re: [EXIM] Debug wishlist

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Piete Brooks
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim List
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Debug wishlist
> Would people really pay attention to a long list so that they would use
> values like -d1057?

I typically start with "low" debugging, and crank it up til I see something
wrong. If it's simple, I can fix it straight off.

If not, I read the code, and find the debug statement that helps.
If that is bitmasked, life become much simpler, as I do not need all the other
crud, and can *just* select the info I need.

[ I even write logging code which includes the bit which caused the log message
to be generated, so there is no need look at the code, just run it "all ones"
once, see which bit does the work, and rerun with just that bit
]

I could imagine you trying to remotely debug a problem asking the user,
"OK, now please run it with debug 1057" to pick up just the stuff you want.

Of course, if the current max is really only "-d10", then you could change the
implementation to a bitmask and have "-d n" set bits 1 .. n and have a new
flag which takes (I would suggest) a hex number (which could represent more
than 32 bits if necessary) ...